It’s January 21, 2018! Holy shit, the years really are flying by. I’m excited for everything 2018 could have in store but 2017 was fantastic.
I wish everyone a happy, prosperous, and joyous New Year. Now go work on those resolutions!
Back in August L and I loaded up our car with camping gear, our bike was loaded on our friends trailer, and we drove to Sturgis, South Dakota for the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Now I wouldn’t consider us the “typical biker” but this was an experience I knew would be once in a lifetime. And it was way more than I could have prepared for.
The drive from Portland to Sturgis is about 20 hours so we split it up into two 10 hour days. I am not a road tripper and this was hard on me. I survived and lived to tell the tale.
We drove through Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and finally called it a day in Missoula, Montana. Montana was a fun drive especially when we had to drive through an active forest fire. There were signs along the freeway stating “no stopping for any reason, active fire” and “caution flames and smoke”. You can’t see the flames in the photo’s below but we were extremely close and just happy to get to our stopping point for that day.
We pulled into the C’mon Inn and had to find the nearest food/beer. Let me just say if you ever find yourself in Missoula PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay at the C’mon Inn. Just look at the photos below.
The next morning we woke up bright and early. We hit the road at a lovely 5:30am… This second day of driving was rough. 90% of the drive was just through Montana and let me tell you Montana is HUGE. And once you’re past Missoula its pretty flat and just desert. I will say I was pretty upset at one point of this drive because we kept seeing signs for Little Big Horn. I kept mentioning to L on the way home we have to make time to stop. When the hell are we ever going to be out this way again we HAVE to go. I love history, good and bad, so this really got my gears excited.
Well I didn’t plan on breaking this up into multiple post but I have a lot more to share. I’ll be back Monday with the remainder of the trip. I feel bad break this up but I hate reading extremely longs posts but I also hate reading a vacation post that is broken up over a week… But here I am doing just that.
FYI I have been listening to Christmas music while writing this post. Last year I had no spirit and this year I can’t get enough Christmas. That may be a post coming your way as well.
This weekend started out good. Like really good. Friday evening we went to pizza for dinner. My favorite Friday night treat! Shortly after we met with friends and hung out all evening. I don’t know why but I love simple quality time with friends.
Saturday started even better because the sun was shining and it was warm. The weather definitely effects my mood and having the weekends be as nice as they have been is making a huge difference in my mental and emotional state.
The dogs and L were outside all day Saturday while I went to a baby shower and it definitely showed when I got home. Very tired dogs and husband. But 25% of our fence is complete! That’s a win folks.
Sunday we went on a ride. I’m trying to get as many miles under my belt before our trip to Sturgis this summer. It wasn’t as sunny but it was about 10 degrees warmer. We spent the day with great company stopping for lunch and of course our favorite fire pit/brewery.
Of course everyone crashed Sunday night. Its honestly amazing what the nice weather and all the outside time did for us. I knew we needed it but it really hit home as I was getting ready for bed Sunday night. The weekend was incredibly eventful but it was enough to remind me how good we have it. So so good.
Thinking about: I wrote about it here but my 1.5 years left of my twenties seems to be looming over my head like a black cloud. I’m not in full fledge panic mode but I’m definitely aware. I want to live my/our life to the fullest and I’m starting to become aware of the little mundane task that I let become bigger priorities than they need to be. I’m giving too much of myself to stress. I want our life to have so many carefree moments like the picture above. We’ve been talking a lot about it and I think we’re on to a great start. Hello Mexico in 150 days!!
Watching: Before bed every night we have been Its always sunny in Philadelphia. Why have we waited so long to watch this show. I laugh tip I cry every episode. I get the humor isn’t for everyone, but I love the narcissitic characters. I feel like I can relate to Sweet D on many levels its rather embarrassing.
Looking forward to: L and I are looking forward to our 10 days in Mexico. We planned this trip perfectly. Right after his busy season is complete and right in the middle of the rainy season. Ten days away from the Oregon gray mist that we get for nine months straight is exactly what the doctor ordered. Plus we never took a big honeymoon. After spending a lot of cash on the wedding we decided to keep our honeymoon local and small. These ten days away is going to be exactly what our marriage needs every once in awhile. A trip just the two of you is like marriage insurance.
Reading: So I finished the first book of the Divergent series. I’ve started the second one but reading just hasn’t been on the priority list lately. I’m loving the second book more than the first. You get to learn more about the city and why they’ve divided the city. Plus you get to meet more divergents.
Loving: I’m loving a lot right now. The seasons are starting to click. The days are still hot but the nights have started cooling off to the point of needing a sweater. I love this time of year when you can feel the seasons click together. I’m just like every other person who lives in the PNW (pacific northwest) who thinks fall is the best season ever. I’m also loving the season of our life. We 2 months into year two of marriage and things just feel normal. Not a bad normal but a comfortable this is how things should be normal. We have a routine. We have our house hold responsibilities divided equally. We have our future figured out/agreed apron as best as any one thinks they can plan for the future. Always have to leave room for the unexpected.
Well as you can probably tell there isn’t a whole lot happening around here. Yes busy but right now seems to be more of the daily life stuff. Sometimes those are the best times.
I was recently nominated for the Liebster Award by my Cara Box partner ((and friend)) Megan of Grad Student Needs Hobby. Well she nominated me over a week ago…. I was previously nominated but totally dropped the ball.
The rules are pretty simple. Simply answer the 11 questions given to you by the nominating blog. Nominated 11 other blogs with 200 followers or less. Then create 11 questions for them to answer. I unfortunately do not have a lot of time to actually read blogs. I follow many on bloglovin and usually browse the titles all day ((in between phone calls)). I mark “read” and “liked” so my presence is known even if I wasn’t able to actually read the post. I feel like I’m missing out on the whole blogger community.
So here are my 11 questions and answers. I hope you enjoy them!
1. What are you reading? I am currently reading The Time Travelers Wife. I loved the movie but never got around to reading the book. My sweet cousin Nicole through me an amazing desert night before my wedding, For gifts she requested everyone just bring me a copy of their favorite love story. This was her gift to me and I love love love it.
2. Finish the sentence: Every day, I… Question if I am reaching my potential. I am planning on addressing this more in a later post, but its weird to think about. Am I truly reaching my potential if I am not working in the field I went to school for?
3. Other than blogging, how do you express your creativity? I love sketching and painting. Since L and I moved in together I’ve lost a bit of that passion. My goal is to set up a special art space in our new place. I really want to tap back into that. I will most likely never share any of my work here but things/people change…
4. What do you enjoy most about the holiday season? EVERYTHING! I truly feel like people tend to be more caring and giving this time of year. I literally imagine the scene from the end of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, every one holding hands singing around the Christmas tree. Plus a peppermint mocha never hurts.
5. How did you decide on your blog title? Well, Melissa means Honey Bee and everyone in my life likes to tell me how sweet I am. Badda Bing Badda Boom blog title. I have a feeling it may change as this space evolves and as I evolve. But for now it works for me and this space.
6. What’s one personal goal you’d like to set for the new year? I would like to become better at saving. L is an amazing saver. I would like to focus more on my own long term goals and remember those when I go to by that fabulous dress ((or on a target run)). Becoming better at this will also help me simplify my life and declutter.
7. Where do you most like to shop? I feel like this is being asked only because Megan secretly knew what my above response was going to be… Um hello Target and Anthropologie. I just can’t stop. Target is my one stop shop and Anthro is my styke to a T. Even our kitchen has items from Anthro. My pocket book thinks otherwise. I cannot leave Target without spending $100 and thats the price of a top at Anthro. Someone help me!
8. What’s your favorite month? I would say my favorite month is November. Its the perfect in between month. Fall is closing but winter isn’t here yet. The fall colors are here, but the mornings are absolutely frozen.
9. Link us to something that recently made you laugh. Hmmm…. I honestly had to think about this one. I was looking through old pictures and it made me laugh to see how we have changed… Look at the epic selfie I took when I got my new MacBook ((this was 4 years ago)). Oh to be 23 again.
10. What is one thing you keep meaning to do but always wind up putting off? Actually a whole lot. I let myself get easily frustrated and honestly give up. I’m a work in progress, what can I say. Plus I do have this great business venture that I have been thinking about doing… Just haven’t taken the plunge. Stay tuned.
11. What was the most memorable lesson/assignment you ever had in school? My favorite assignment was in my design class. We were told to go out and find something that inspired us that isn’t your typical inspirational piece. Seeing what my classmates designed from everyday buildings, shrubs, cars, and even a gutter was so inspirational. It reminded me to really look around me and at the world. You’ll be surprised by what you see if you really take it in…
Well I hope you enjoyed my answer’s to Megan’s questions. I am planning a second part to this where I tag 11 other bloggers and give them questions. This girl is off to fold laundry then to bed.
I recently took part of a great program called Cara Box Exchange. This is a fantastic way to get to know other woman whether or not you blog. Kaitlyn over at Wifessionals started this in hopes that we would reach out to each other and encourage each other. This exchange and future exchanges has been changed up a bit. Instead of only having two weeks to get to know your partners we now have two months. Its a refreshing change and you really get to know them and learn more about their daily life.
For this exchange I was paired with two amazing gals, Megan and Nilda. I sent Megan a box and Nilda sent me a box. It was great being paired with both these gals because we’re all newlyweds and experiencing the same transitions. I also enjoyed getting to know both of them because they are both so determined. Megan is a grad student/blogger and Nilda is a teacher/blogger. I am 100% confident you will become immediately attached to both gals and their blogs as soon as you start reading.
For this exchange the theme was Falling For Fall. As I have written here many of times ((here & here)) fall is my season. I live for the fall and winter. Growing up in the PNW ((pacific northwest)) the changing leafs has become my favorite thing to experience every year. Nilda nailed me to a T with my box.
1. That amazing scarf! Scarfs are my necklaces all fall/winter long. I’m already planning to wear it next week on Thanksgiving.
2. Navy tights with green polka-dots. Enough said! ((I have a great outfit planned for them and may try to post it on the blog…))
3. Gold nail polish. Why yes I have already painted my nails using this new color. I love a fresh manicure.
4. Hot chocolate brownies. As soon as L is done with dinner these are being made and no I am not sharing.
5. The cutest fall cookie mix in a mason jar. Since the brownies will be consuming my life I think these will be made and consumed Saturday. We’ll see if I can actually wait that long.
Well folks, there you have it, my box. Every time I participate I reminded how amazing people are to each other. It makes me want to try harder at being a great person towards others. I also want to encourage others while they are down. So if you are needing that extra bounce in your step please join the exchange. You will not be disappointed. Also, please stop by and say hello to my partners. Inspirational ladies.
I recently took part of a great program called Cara Box Exchange. This is a fantastic way to get to know other woman whether or not you blog. Kaitlyn over at Wifessionals started this in hopes that we would reach out to each other and encourage each other.
This month I was paired with two great gals, Heather and Audrey. I feel very fortunate with my partners this month. I really enjoy getting to know people and I really feel I connected with these two. I sent my box to Heather and received a box from Audrey. Can I just say how she completely nailed it with my box! It was me to a T. Thank you again Audrey and Heather. I will be responding to both of your e-mails shortly.
1. Cotton candy because lets be real, its in my blog title.
2. A paleo recipe book with LOTS of yummy deserts! I cannot wait to try out some of these.
3. I love reading and coffee. So of course a coffee mug with quotes from some of the greatest literature out there. So yesterday to use this tomorrow morning.
4. I’m scattered brained so she included a little book so I can keep my thoughts/to-do list organized.
5. Nail polish. I love a fresh mani but too cheap to get it done every week. LOVE this.
6. A necklace. Because I’m always wearing them. They’re my thing instead of earrings.
6. Last but not least mustache earrings. I’m on the mustache bandwagon and freaking heart these. Super excited to get a picturing wearing these with my mustache prop.